Monday, May 21, 2012

A Divorce Statistic I Don't Buy



It's long been said that those who live together first, then marry, will have a higher chance of divorce.

According to this article :

1. Higher Divorce Rate
Perhaps the most compelling and widespread argument against living together before marriage is that several researchers say it increases the risk of breaking up. Virtually all studies of this topic have shown that the chance of divorce is significantly greater for married couples who lived together first. And in 1992, the National Survey of Families and Households found that, in 3,300 families, married couples who had lived together first were judged to be 46 percent more likely to get divorced.


After my divorce in 2006, this type of study (and outcomes) were still leaning towards this being true, though I never really believed it. Although my 'X' and I did live together first, I never thought that had anything to do with our divorce.

Living together first would actually put you in a better position I'd think.

I have always said that you never really know someone until you live with them. I'd have to imagine that if you are able to live with someone first, you would have the chance to get to know them better, then decide better whether or not should marry them.

(It's true: everyone has an outward face or personality and some things many people including our close friends might not know about us. We all put on our best when we are out with others and the only way to deeply know a person is to live with them day in and day out. That way you see their habits- both good and bad.)

This way, if you live with someone and suddenly cannot stand them, chances are you won't marry them, and in turn, won't be getting divorced.

While writing this, I wanted to see if the old statistics are still being pushed... so I looked up some more recent stats on 'live-together-before-marriage-leads-to-higher-divorce rates'... and I found this.

Hmmm... sure does sound more logical (and more accurate).

No comments:

Post a Comment