Saturday, April 23, 2011

Spring Break = Dates


It’s Spring Break and the kids are with their Dad in a different state.

I have three children; they are 13, 9 and 6. They are great kids.

I’ve been with them their whole lives. They even lived with me after the split. But about a year and a half after the divorce I moved out of state and we ended up with split-custody. 

It was always difficult letting them go…it always made me so sad.
I used to hate it when they left, I was always sick over it and I thought I would never get used to them spending time away from me.

It’s getting a little bit better now. Not only do they live with me full time again, but you see, my fiancé has been with us for a year and a half and does not have his own children. We work very hard day in and day out as parents...so it is an adjustment for him.

I have to say, he handles it very well. Better than I would have ever imagined… The children never go without. He is there through sicknesses, school events, homework and dish duties … 

Sometimes I think he was born a natural father…but ssssshhh…don’t tell him I said that;)

The point I am getting to, is that when the kids are away I’ve begun to accept it as a good thing.

I’ve realized it’s mine and my fiancé’s  time to date more, talk more,  and do the things grownups find it hard to do when children are around, if you know what I mean.

 It makes me think about how I might not have prioritized dating my ‘X’ when we were married.
A mistake I don’t want to make in this relationship.
So, for Spring Break my fiancé and I have been considering it our Spring Break as well.
We have spent time having uninterrupted conversations, eating dinner at 9 pm if we want, going out with friends and leaving the house whenever we please.

It’s just a week and it will go by fast, for all of us. So, we might as well think positively…

The time allows the children to bond with their father and other family, visit a different state and climate, and relax and enjoy their vacation.

It allows us to get the break from being parents and invest time our relationship without taking away time from the kids.

What will you do for yourself the next time the kids go to your ‘Xs’?

Truly,
Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment