Tuesday, November 22, 2011

What is there to be Thankful for After Divorce?



With Thanksgiving just around the corner, the theme everywhere seems to be 'appreciation and gratitude'.


The devastation which is left behind after divorce
can take it's toll...


 With tornadoes of emotional pain, constant hurricanes of financial issues and floods of unwanted stress, we often wonder how we're supposed to find gratitude amongst this ugly mess we call divorce.


Sure, over time, things do get better, but if it's just the beginning, or it's taking a while for things to fall into place, it can be a challenge to find that grateful spirit so many push during this time of year.

Thanksgiving is a holiday geared around family traditions...and if you are divorced, your old traditions may only be with you in memory...

Some people may not realize how much divorce uproots a persons life.

Although my divorce has been over for six years, it never really goes away. I have children with my 'X' and so I must interact with him more often than I'd like...and yes, yes, I know, I should try to be friends...believe me, I've been there and I tried that for a while...no takers on the other end so it is a very separate relationship...

No Demi Moore and Bruce Willis fantasy here.... I suppose it's simpler this way.

But, that isn't really my biggest challenge.

It's actually finding out what I should be thankful for this week, when starting last year, my children and I will never spend another Thanksgiving together until they are eighteen (or older).

Hmmmmm............

Well, what would any divorced person be thankful for on Thanksgiving?

This is what I came up with (for starters):

1. My children are lucky enough to have a father who wants to spend time with them
2. My children are also lucky to have step-siblings they enjoy spending time with when they are there
3. I have them on Halloween, half the summer and every other Christmas and every other day of the year besides spring break!!!    That is something to be grateful for!!!!!
4. A warm home
5. Good health
6. Clean, running water
7. The right to choose, vote, speak my opinions and practice my religion
8. Love
9. Life
9. The freedom to divorce ;)
10. Second chances
11. The opportunity to rebuild

...Not to mention a mini-vacation from being Mom....

You can see that even with the divorce, I still have plenty to be thankful for.

So this Thanksgiving, consider your divorce 'an inconvenience to appreciate' because not everyone gets a second chance to build a new life, or rebuild at all...


Develop an attitude of gratitude, and give thanks for everything that happens to you, knowing that every step forward is a step toward achieving something bigger and better than your current situation.  ~ Brian Tracy
After Every Natural Disaster....Somehow People Always Find the Courage to Rebuild

What are You Thankful for???

No comments:

Post a Comment