Wednesday, September 14, 2011

I'm Divorced , So Why Get Re-Married?



I am engaged to be married.
The wedding is in about a month...
And this is a question that has been raised to me recently.

'You're divorced!?....
So, WHY do you want to get re-married?'

In so many words, they'd reminded that I'd already been through Hell...(meaning divorce)...
So why would I 'consciously' go through it again?

My answer was a blank stare, then a laugh...and then a deer in headlights look.

I don't know why I'd want to go through that again.
Divorce sucked so bad, I'm in no rush to repeat it.
Though, I guess I should be institutionalized, since I clearly may very well be out of my mind because (here go the stats) second-marriage-divorce-rates are double what first-marriage-divorce-rates are.

After the headlights drove past...I came to a conclusion:

I'm not thinking about divorce. I'm not thinking of my unhappy marriage.
I lived there for long enough, and I don't particularly like it there.
And, I'd actually like to think the second time around will be better, since I should've learned many lessons about marriage and myself. And since this time, I have realistic expectations.

We know that we aren't heading off to 'Happily Ever After'...because each of us already tried that , and ummm, yeah, it doesn't exactly exist (for those who didn't know).

This is where we think we are headed:

Sunday, October 16th, which is the next day that comes after the wedding day.
We are headed to the rest of our lives, which could very well be repetitive mirror images of today.
But we are headed to that happiness or misery, together.

I'm divorced....
So WHY get married?

Because I love him, and he drives me nutts (meaning crazy). He picks me up when I'm down, he adores me and is always there when I need him. I make him laugh, he makes me smile, and when I'm weak he is strong (and vice-versa). My children are very close to him; they love, trust, and respect him, and he is an amazing, positive, father-figure. We have lived together for two years, and if I might say so myself, we have some serious chemistry.

So, I ask, 'Why WOULDN'T  I get married'?

31 Days and counting;)

Truly,
Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment