Sunday, June 12, 2011

Does Facebook Cause Divorce?

Picture from Facebookcheating.com
So, I was at the bank recently with my smallest child. It was his first time opening a bank account and I’d forgotten some paperwork at home.

Long story short, we sat at the desk of the banker who was opening the new account for us. We had been killing time making small talk until my oldest daughter got home off of the bus to grab the social security numbers out of the safe and call me, so we could then complete the transaction.

The guy behind the desk asked what I did. 

I told him how I have blogs. I like to motivate people, etc. 

He mentioned how one of his clients had been recently working on a positive encouragement website. 

I thought it was a darn good idea. I mentioned how it would be a little less social and a little more focused than Facebook (which I commented that I liked, but for business purposes something else might be more effective). 

He immediately gave me a look as if I’d just swore in church-maybe even worse!

He followed the look with a deep tone, saying, ‘Oooooouuuuuu, my Wife and I DON’T LIKE FACEBOOK’.

I was feeling a little guilty. I hadn’t realized that I’d said something bad and really didn’t mean to insult or strike a nerve. 

Though I could see where he was coming from after he offered more of an explanation.

He began to tell me that he and his wife had known neighbors, co-workers and friends whose marriages had ended in divorce because of Facebook.

Interesting thought though, since I was not personally experiencing anything negative in that way from  MY Facebook and I didn’t know anyone who was.

I must have looked surprised, because he nodded his head and said, ‘Really, Facebook is BAD’.

Ummmm, okay….I can see how Facebook can be addicting (I mean ask me how much time I spend on it and I will probably fudge the actual number of hours I check into my account) but I didn’t quite see how Facebook was single-handedly ruining marriages.

Low and behold, upon some research here are a number of articles claiming Facebook to be the culprit of divorces and demolished homes. Some even used in a court of law:


Correct me if I’m wrong here, isn't it people  who get divorced, not computers and websites?

My thoughts are, if a marriage is going to break up; if it’s going to end in divorce…it doesn’t need Facebook’s help- it’s going to happen no matter what. 

And bottom line on cheating via Facebook?

People don’t need to go online to be unfaithful.

What about all of those people who still aren’t here with us in the technology era???  Hmmm?


Truly,
Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment